|Prince Charles III (1818-1889) in 1856 allowed the opening of a casino. After a first unsuccessfull instalation in 1862, the casino moved in 1863 to a modest house in the hill, being called François Blanc to organize the gambling. He founded SBM ( Societé des Bains de Mer et du Cercle des Étrangers du Monaco), becoming the director and dealer of SBM in association with the Prince of Monaco.
The new Casino de Monte Carlo was opened in July 1865.
The casino contribute to the prosperity of this new resort, and ensured quick fortune to François Blanc and Prince Charles III.
In 1878, Mary White , Blanc´s widow, asked the famous architect Charles Garnier to build the Opera the Monte Carlo and a new casino in baroque style, richly decorated.
In 1904 opened the casino International Sporting Club. In 1975 opened a new casino associated to Loews.
SBM owns today five casinos: Casino de Monte Carlo,Casino Café de Paris,Sun Casino,Monte Carlo Bay Casino (only slots) and The Gaming Area of La Rascasse ( only slots).